Thursday, November 13, 2014

Here is a video of my experience in Mesa Verde, Colorado this past summer.  It was such a good experience for me! I was totally nervous flying out by myself (because I've NEVER flown anywhere by myself before) but when I got there I met some great teachers.  I really enjoyed meeting the other teachers in my hogan and I knew it was so meant to be for me to be there.  One of the teachers has played piano for years, another was a newer teacher like me, and the last teacher has taught first grade for many years.  The first grade teacher was especially good for me to talk to after knowing I would find myself in first grade once the school year started.  She told me I would love first grade and I'm beginning to think she was right! : )

Anyway, the trip was focused on the archaeology of Mesa Verde so we got to go out on a dig and actually get in the dirt and search for artifacts.  Lucky me! I actually found something! I was digging around in the dirt, trying to keep the sweat out of my eyes in 99 degree desert heat and not burn my hands on the sand, when I happened to scrape my trowel across something white like limestone.  Well, I've seen white rocks before and I just assumed this was a rock.  You'll see in the video that I found part of a Native American bow shaper.  Apparently they would use this to lay the shaft of the bow across and fashion it into its proper shape.  So cool.  

We also got to visit balcony house, cliff palace, and spring house.  Balcony house was quite interesting - near vertical ladders on the cliffs.  Kind of scary.  I'll admit I was shaking a bit because those cliffs are steep.  Not because I have a fear of falling... I just have a fear of landing.  








Anyway, I'm going to show this to the kids as we do some archaeology activities with our 4th grade reading buddies.  

: )

Who knows where I'll go next summer!? I'm really excited to apply for several programs that will be held in San Diego, New York City, and Montana during the summer of 2015.  I think I've figured out ways that I can specifically apply the content I will learn there to 1st grade.  That's one thing about 1st grade... I feel like I have a little more room for creativity in how I can approach the content I will teach.  

I would also really like to figure out a way to find a grant for New Zealand (and possibly South Africa and Costa Rica in the future)!

No comments:

Post a Comment