Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Place Value Math Centers
RACE TO 50!!!

So for the past two weeks we have been working with tens and ones (place value) during math.  I just went to a wonderful math conference where I was able to get a TON of ideas.  This activity, called Race to 50 is one that I discovered at the math conference and downloaded from teacherspayteacher.com for FREE!!! That website is so amazing.  I get so many lessons and activities from that website and it has been a great resource for my first year in first grade!




The kids worked in partners and each had a tens and ones work mat.  They took turns tolled a die and then added that many cubes to the ten frame in the ones place.  Once they had filled up their ten frame, the could make a ten tower/rod and moved this over to the tens place.  The first person to get to 50/get 5 ten rods was the winner!



Check out the new floor mat I got for our classroom! I found it on Zulily.com (LOVE that site - it's way too dangerous for my pocketbook) and the kids seem to love lying on it to work.  









Okay, here is something I haven't touched in a LONG time.  Yes, I play the violin, but not very well.  It's something I've wanted to do since I was little, but it's definitely not something that comes easily to me.  I started in college and I pick it up every once in a while to mess around with, but my ear is not quite good enough for violin.  Piano is easier for me because the key played just is what it is.  
I started with classical violin, just like I did with piano and I have branched out a bit to play a little bit of bluegrass (which is a little easier I think, just a little).  I have since bought a better quality and prettier violin and bow than this one in the picture.  It was one of the first things I got when I started teaching.  I need to dust it off and bring it to class to torture... I mean entertain the kids! : )



No comments:

Post a Comment