Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Today in reading we talked about different types of sentences.  This goes beyond just what is a statement and a question in 1st grade common core.  Instead the actual "grown-up" vocabulary is used:  declarative, explanatory, interrogative, and imperative.



I found an idea for teaching this lesson on the blog found here:  http://thefirstgradefairytales.blogspot.com/2012/11/lotto-pigeons-4-types-of-sentences.html

We started off by reading the book, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.  I really hammed it up today with the voices (mostly because I was so happy about feeling like I could breathe without wheezing again!) and the kids thought I... okay, the book was SO hilarious.  We wrote down some of the sentences from the book onto sentence strips.  We will use these tomorrow to review and then have the kids to copy down one example of each sentence into their reading notebooks.  They will then create their own examples of each sentence by using the pigeon book sentences as the model.  




I found this version of the book later in the day, but I still think my voices are better! Maybe I'll show the kids this one during snack time and get their opinion.  : )


We also read this pigeon book today:  The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog.  I think these books are going to be new regular favorites in our room!

Again, I like my reading better, but maybe I'm just thinking a little too highly of myself.  : )




I found that the kids can identify the different types of sentences pretty well, but the vocabulary is totally getting in the way.  Teaching a 1st grade the word interrogative? Really? They can barely pronounce it! But we're doing the best we can.  I told them that they would be able to use the "big words" to identify sentences soon, so we'll just have to keep reviewing.  I've found some mini-posters and an anchor chart to put up to help stand as reminders for the kids.  

We also said this chant over and over and over that I found on the blog I was searching:

"Declarative tells, Explanatory yells, Interrogative asks, and Imperative commands!"





Another one of my travel photos taken near the Israel-Lebanon border (January 2011)...
Man and The Mediterranean Sea:



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information in the article.Was looking for article like this which explains the easy way of understanding the concept of 4 Types of Sentences.you are doing the good job.Keep it up

    ReplyDelete