Monday, September 22, 2014

Monday, September 22, 2014

     I spent some time this evening putting our aquarium together.  The kids have kind of forgotten about it and stopped asking when the fish are arriving, but this will most definitely happen soon.  I've got to finish figuring out how to put the filter together and then we'll get some fish.  I'm hoping by next week that our class will finally have a class pet!

     It may have been a good thing (with no intentional reasoning on my part) that the aquarium has been in our room for a while without anything inside.  The kids were wanting to touch this continuously, but now the novelty has worn off.  I'm hoping they remember to just look once there is water and fish in the tank!




     During reading today, we read a story titled, Wolf!  We talked about real wolves and compared them to wolves in fantasy literature.  The kids remembered Little Red Riding Hood and the Three Little Pigs.  We got to watch a National Geographic Kids video about wolves (found here:  http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/animals/gray-wolf/) and so the howling began.  It was like having a classroom filled with active coyotes.




     Before reading Wolf! we talked about farms and what could be found on a farm.  I showed the kids a picture of an orange tractor and I mentioned how my Dad would like that tractor.  


      I then heard a little side conversation that went like this:  

Child 1:  Wait, she has a Dad?

Child 2:  Of course she has a Dad.
(Yes, boys and girls.  Teachers are humans!)

Child 1:  Well, does she have a husband?
(Huh? Wait, where is this conversation going?)

Child 2:  Of course she does, she's old enough to be a grandma!
(Grandma? What?)

Child 3:  No she's not! She's only a teenager.
(Okay, someone this is not much better than "Grandma.")

Child 2:  No, she's not.

Child 3:  Yes, she is.  Aren't you a teenager, Ms. Carter?

Me:  Well, no not really.  I'm a lot older than a teenager.

Child 2:  See! She's not a teenager.  She's like 22!

Okay, I'll take that.  Whatever.  The conversation of age ALWAYS comes up with my students and I don't usually tell them how old I am.  The age range they guess is usually somewhere between 12 and 90.  It's funny to hear them discuss things about me.  



Okay, in this respect I do still feel like a teenager!



      It was a beautiful day outside for recess; not too hot and not too cold.  We also are doing better with our lunch routine so we got outside on time today.  That's big for us (well, for me!).  One of the boys in my class had a Batman jacket on today.  He put the hood on and then zipped up the jacket while we were outside.  He began running around saying,
"Hey, I'm Batman!" One of the little boys in another class heard him and began chasing him shouting, "Batman! It's Batman!" My little one ran up to me complaining that the other kid kept chasing him.  I said, "Well why don't you just take off the jacket so you're not Batman anymore?" 


Good idea, Ms. Carter

      As soon as my little guy took off the jacket, the kid in the other class began chasing him again.  Although this time, the other child shouted, "Bruce! Bruce! (as in Bruce Wayne - the alter ego of Batman" as he chased my little guy around the grass area.  


      We have been taking turns having recess on the grass, the blacktop and then the playground.  When we're on the grass, one of the kids favorite games is to look in the grates for frogs.  Oh what little things entertain young minds! Thankfully.  




Tomorrow is our Boosterthon assembly! Get ready to pledge!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment