Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday, September 8

Good news... our Dibels testing is almost done for the beginning of the year!!
Thank you to everyone who helped me get it done so quickly!! It was GREATLY appreciated.  : )

So now we can get back to learning fun!!

Today was quite the cloudy, drizzly day, and was actually a little chilly when we went outside.  Is summer finally over? It was a little too wet for us to play on the grass where we were supposed to be, so we joined some of the other first grades on the bus parking lot.  The kids are getting much better at inventing games to play without the playground equipment.  The first couple of days of school were challenging when the kids realized they would have to play 2 days out of the week without the benefit of the playground.  But they're becoming more creative about their entertainment!

We worked on our writing today during our workshop time while each of the kids was tested in Dibels.  We tried to get more smileys than frownies during this time by only whispering and not talking, but we weren't successful, even with the possible prize of 5 extra minutes of recess.  Maybe tomorrow??

In math we are working on addition.  We got out the math blocks and number bond mats.  The kids LOVED playing with the blocks, but we're definitely going to do more review with number bonds tomorrow.  I have a matching game for us to play in groups and we also have some games to play on the Promethean board.  I'm hoping to assess each child individual on their addition skills while the others are working on a number bond worksheet.  Well, that's the plan anyway... : )




FYI:  Homework sheets will be taken up on Mondays (when your teacher remembers!!) 
     I was so overly concerned about getting to our Dibels tests that I COMPLETELY forgot about any other classroom housekeeping!!

Also, I'm hoping to get Raz Kids up and running for you to use to read at home.  I'll send info ASAP.  

During our reading time today we got to hear from Lionel Lion again.  He's helping us with our phoneme segmentation skills.  We also learned some rhyming skills by singing the song Down by the bay.  



SPECIALS:  
     Today was science.
     Tomorrow is computers


Lunchtime:  We're continuing to work on our cafeteria procedures, specifically the skill of cleaning up the table.  The kids are getting better at it, but Ms. Carter is still a work in progress.  I'm still working out how to get the kids out of the cafeteria, their trash in the trash can, and the table and floor clean before 3rd grade comes in.  It's tight, but we're experimenting to figure out the best way to do it.  Hopefully I can train the kids to sweep soon!

We were able to get our 10th airplane today!! Yeah!! That means that we'll get our name announced over the "airwaves" during announcements.  The kids got REALLY quiet in the hallway when they saw the principal coming today.  I had told them that the principal and vice principal can see them everywhere and you never know when they'll catch you behaving and give us an airplane.  The kids were really wanting that 10th airplane.  I had really built it up.  And what do you know? The principal gave us one in the hallway! You should have seen our little line leader's face when she got to hold the airplane.  Priceless.  : )


Only a first grade teacher… would go digging through pancakes, syrup and chocolate milk to find a lost key for a crying child.  And I speak from experience.  : ) 
      That's what they make soap for, I guess.  And trust me, I scrubbed up to my elbows after that one. 




Our classroom wish list:  3M hooks, baby wipes, 1st grade books for our classroom library




Look what your teacher does over the weekend...

I found this pocket chart at the Educator's Warehouse and it was ... completely free! I had 35 points to spend on free stuff and this took 15 of my points, but I couldn't pass it up.  I thought it was too adorable.  I had no idea what to do with it... it's huge! But I've hung it out in the hallway and we're going to make rule posters to go in the windows.  I had planned to do this anyway, so I kind of just tweaked the lesson so I could go ahead and use this.
When you find something cute, find a way to use it!!









 Never thought I'd be doing this!!!

I'm Flint, the pirate in a local production of Peter Pan, Jr.  It's been a lot of fun this summer.  One more weekend of shows!




Finally...

I was able to finish this sign for our classroom door.  It took me FOREVER!! And it's already fallen and cracked the edge.  So I had to whip out my glue gun and glue that baby down.  It's hanging on the door now, but we'll see if it's still there in the morning.  Also, our balloons from our open house UP display keep falling off the walls because of the humidity, so that will need to be updated soon.  But I'm curious to see if this will still be hanging tomorrow...



Look who wanted her picture taken!!





It's the beginning of a great week!! 
Remember to make smart choices, get some sleep, and come in tomorrow ready to learn.  Smile! : )

Love, 
     Ms. Carter


No comments:

Post a Comment